BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Do you ever feel like you're in exile?




Jeremiah 29:4-7

4Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, unto all that are carried away captives, whom I have caused to be carried away from Jerusalem unto Babylon;

5Build ye houses, and dwell in them; and plant gardens, and eat the fruit of them;

6Take ye wives, and beget sons and daughters; and take wives for your sons, and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; that ye may be increased there, and not diminished.

7And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.

Ive lived in the little city of Franklin, Ohio for most of my life. And for most of my life I've wanted out of this city. As a child I dreamed of living ANYWHERE on earth that had more than 100,000 people. My frustrations of Ohio have grown over the last few years. You see, I did leave for a while. I spent 4 years in the great state of Texas! 3 of them in Arlington, right between 2 huge cities-Dallas and Fort Worth; and 1 year in what I feel is probably the greatest city in America, San Antonio! I LOVED Texas, even when things were tough. I love city life. I love the people. It seems people are just more considerate there than they are here. There are going to be inconsiderate or cold people wherever you go, but it seems to be overflowing where I live now. And Ive shut this city out of my heart. But I've been very wrong in doing that.
When we first moved here we were excited to see what God had in store. Especially since every single door in TX had been slammed in our faces and the only open window seemed to leads us here. After a short while of being here, we wondered if we had made a mistake. We knew it had been so clear to come, but we sure didn't know our purpose. And I think in a way we have struggled with that for all of the almost 5 years we've been back. Sure I have family here, but besides my sister and my parents, I don't really see anyone else. We all have our 'grown-up' lives now. We live differently. Our family is our church. We look forward to seeing our 'family' every Sunday and Wednesday, despite what some may consider a crazy schedule! My hubbalicious has to be at the church by 8:15 on Sunday mornings to prepare music for the day since he works an outside job all week. We are there late because he almost every Sunday has to count the offering and if he isn't counting he's locking up. We have our own class, sing in the choir, work in the nursery, and I even surrendered to go out of my comfort zone last year and now teach TNT (tots in training) atleast once a month. We attend youth activities now and then and even chaperone sometimes. We have adult activities, ladie's functions, men's breakfasts...We are SUPER busy all the time! Yet still if I could move my whole church with me, I'd move out of this town without blinking an eye. So I've come to the conclusion (I must be hardheaded for it to have taken this long) that our purpose here is our church. God has a plan for us to be here and despite it not being the path I'd have chosen on my own, if its His will, then this is where I want to be until he moves me. Its funny cause one of my favorite songs, states just that, and I never got it in this way. =) As the verses about the exiled say...I need to pray for peace(of God) and prosperity for the city He has brought me to. I must make my life here and serve here for as long as He would have me here. For if I can't serve and love the people of Franklin, Ohio...then how can I expect to serve at my greatest potential and as God would have me to, to the people of San Antonio, or my heart's mission in Tanzania? I have to love HERE, before He will send me THERE. So here I am, waiting, standing, serving...and I've made my choice, and this is where I'll stand until He moves me on!

Here is my heart song for today...I Will Listen (Twila Paris)


If you have never heard it, I urge you too google it and listen...I couldn't get the popup link to work.


Hard as it seems
Standing in dreams
Where is the dreamer now
Wonder if I
Wanted to try
Would I remember how
I don't know the way to go from here
But I know I have made my choice
And this is where I stand
Until He moves me on

And I will listen to His voice
This is the faith
Patience to wait
When there is nothing clear
Nothing to see
Still we believe
Jesus is very near
I can not imagine what will come
But I've already made my choice
And this is where I stand
Until He moves me on

And I will listen to His voice
Could it be that He is only waiting there to see
If I will learn to love the dreams
that He has dreamed for me
Can't imagine what the future holds
But I've already made my choice
And this is where I stand
Until He moves me on
And I will listen to His voice

1 comments:

JOHN MILLS said...

It is one thing to think you are exiled in a place. Just don't wander for forty years in the wilderness before you get to the promised land. That would be Texas!